"Bad interpreter" shell messages

Robert L Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Sun Jan 30 09:50:07 UTC 2005

Paul F. Almquist wrote:

>>[...]
>>

>>>Yes it does start with #! /bin/sh. The output you requested:
>>>

>>Ahh. Does it start with "#!/bin/sh", or "#! /bin/sh" with a space, as you
>>wrote? Should be no space.
>>

>The space is acceptable, even several spaces works.  It must be something
>else.
>
>If the script was written on a windows box there may be a <cr><lf> sequence at
>the end of each line, depending on how it was copied onto the linux box.  the
><lf> is the same as the unix <nl> which is the normal end of line marker but
>the <cr> will make the file name in the specified path to be /bin/sh<cr>
>because <cr> is a valid character in a file name, although not a recommended
>one.  of course that is not the desired file name.
>
>run the script thru the dos2unix(1) command to get rid of the <cr> at the end
>of the lines.  If it is not that then perhaps some other non-printing
>character is on that line.
>
>paul

Thanks Paul. I wrote the script in Fedora Core, so it isn't a line
termination issue. I think it has to do with permissions, The whole
problem went away when I moved the build directory from
/mnt/any/home/rlc to ~/. (/mnt/any is a mount point for my second hard
drive. That drive has an older Fedora Core system on it which I don't
want to format away.) And yes I was able to configure and build
Postgresql 8. I'll install and fire it up it later today,

Bob