Options For Installing Fedora To Older Laptop

Robert L Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Sun Jan 30 10:03:38 UTC 2005

Timothy Murphy wrote:

>Robert L Cochran wrote:
>

>>My Sony Vaio PCG-F350 laptop (Pentium II 364 MHz, 192 Mb RAM) is running
>>out of hard drive space. The machine is running Fedora Core 2. It is
>>still using the original 6 Gb hard drive, and has 491 Mb of free space
>>left. I'd love a new machine, but I'm loathe to spend the money right
>>now, especially as one of my kids will soon need to gear up for
>>university. I figure I can just install a bigger hard drive on the
>>machine.
>>
>>I am thinking of simply popping in the new hard drive and then
>>installing Fedora Core 3 to it. Does that sound like a good option -- or
>>will Core 3 grind to a halt? It doesn't have much memory. But the new
>>drive will have faster rotational speed plus an 8 Mb buffer, so that
>>might help a little bit. Or should I stick with Fedora Core 2, which I
>>already know runs slowly, but it does run. I have a Buffalo wireless PC
>>card that I can use with this baby for my internet connection.
>>

>I don't think you will have any problem installing FC-3
>if you put in a new disk.
>192MB RAM is plenty for this purpose.
>
>Also I didn't notice FC-3 was any slower than FC-2;
>Has someone said it is?
>
>I'm running FC-3 now on a Sony C1VFK Picturebook with 128MB RAM.
>(It used to have 256MB, but the extra memory has failed.)
>This has a Crusoe 660MHz processor.
>
>I'm also running FC-3 on a 300MHz Pentium II desktop with 128MB RAM.
>I had no problem installing FC-3, but I must admit X is rather slow.
>
>Both machines have plenty of disk-space.
>(I installed a 60GB drive in my Picturebook.)

Thanks Timothy. I'll order the new drive soon. I suppose if I just
exchange the drives and install Fedora Core 3 from DVD that will save me
a lot of bother connecting them to another computer first using 2
special adapters and then copying manually partitioning and formatting
the new drive and copying the contents of the old drive to the new one.

Bob