Broadband???

David Curry dsccable at comcast.net
Sun Jan 30 16:17:27 UTC 2005

Sam Varshavchik wrote:

> Markus Huber writes:
>
>> Seng Lee wrote:
>>
>>> Can someone pls tell / teach me how to setup my broadband connection
>>> using GNOME ( Fedora Core 3 ) because i can't seem to get it to work
>>> by just configuring it with GNOME's built-in internet connection
>>> wizard.... btw i'm a newbie with Linux/Fedora. Thanks a milion.
>>

>> DSL? Cable?
>

> Why should it matter, if you have a real Internet provider?
>
> The best way to set up broadband is to use a real Internet provider,
> instead of a provider of some proprietary network technology who
> offers some clunky, custom-made hardware, and buggy Windows drivers as
> the only means of access.
>
> With a real Internet provider, you'll get an ordinary Ethernet port.
> You can use any network card supported in Linux, plug in an ordinary
> cable, enter the IP address your provider assigned to you, the
> netmask, the default router IP address, and your provider's DNS
> servers' IP addresses, and you're done.

Seng, I also had similar difficulties establishing a broadband
connection when first installing Fedora Core, both with FC2 and FC3.  My
solution to the problem was to re-install and have Anaconda (the
installer) activate network services on boot up with DHCP enabled.  This
was a drastic solution, perhaps, but it worked.

If one is more conversant in linuxeese, editing one's init.d file should
provide another avenue to accomplish the same result without going
through re-installation. You might consult the documentation available
on your machine in /usr/share/doc/initscripts-<version-number> (through
a browser use URL file:///usr/share/doc/initscripts)  and download the
RedHat Linux 9.0 documentation manuals available at RedHat's website.