Firefox, Thunderbird and %#$@* Evolution

Gustavo Seabra seabra at ksu.edu
Sun Jan 30 21:52:35 UTC 2005

robrosenthal1 wrote:

>> -------------------------
>

>> Subject: Firefox, Thunderbird and %#$@* Evolution From: Robert
>
>> <kerplop at sbcglobal.net> Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 10:48:19
> -0600 To: For
>
>> users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>
>

>> To: For users of Fedora Core releases
> <fedora-list at redhat.com>
>

>> FC3, KDE
>

>> I have been attempting to find a way to migrate from Mozilla to
>
>> Firefox and Thunderbird. So far, everything has gone pretty well
>
>> EXCEPT that when I wanted to email a web page from within Firefox,
>
>> that option was not available. The only choice is to "Send Link".
>
>> That's acceptable and definitely more friendly for those who are
>
>> still using dialup connections but the deal breaker for me is that
> it
>
>> wants to use Evolution and I don't/won't. I have looked in the
>
>> prefs.js file, in about:config and in the handful of options
>
>> available under Edit --> preferences and haven't exactly been
>
>> inundated with clues. In the Help section, I find this jewel:
>

>> Send Link...
>

>> Opens an email composition window using your computer's default
> email
>
>> program so you can send a message with a link to the current page.
>
>> This feature is currently only available on Windows, Mac OS X and
>
>> OS/2.
>

>> ...which is about as useful as "How may I help you today" on the
> back
>
>> of Walmart employees vests.
>

>> I tried removing evolution from another machine that I don't mind
>
>> wrecking and sure enough, evolution didn't try to start. Neither
> did
>
>> any other mail client, as in NOP.
>

>> Any ideas short of doing a fresh install and specifically omitting
>
>> evolution?
>
> I had a somewhat similar problem.  For whatever reason, you need to
> use GNOME's preferred application chooser.  The KDE one doesn't work
> for me.

I had a similar problem. It's just plain stupid for Firefox to use only
gnome defaults. But, anyway, the way I solved it was logging in in
Gnome, changing the default mail application there to Thunderbird, and
then going back to KDE, and all works nicely.

I can't wait for KMail to handle IMAP folders/filter better to switch
completely to konkeror/kmail...

--
Gustavo Seabra - Graduate Student