yum& fftw

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Sun Jan 30 22:25:11 UTC 2005

cfk wrote:
> Gentlemen:
>  I have two computers, one with FC2 and one with FC3. There is a package
> called "fftw" which is one the FC3 system and I would like to get it
> installed on the FC2 system.

Fedora Tracker (www.fedoratracker.org) tells me that this appears in
Fedora Extras.

>  Typing "yum info fftw" on the FC3 system returns Name: fftw, Version 2.1.5,
> Repo: fedora stable.
>
>  Typing "yum info fftw" on the FC2 system returns "Cannot find a package
> matching fftw".
>
>  Is there any way to move forward on the FC2 system short of changing it into
> an FC3 system?

Well, you could try configuring the FC2 yum to look at
download.fedora.us, since that package appears there. Putting something
like this:

[extras]
name=Fedora Extras
baseurl=http://download.fedora.us/fedora/fedora/$releasever/$basearch/RPMS.stable/

into /etc/yum.conf should work. However, if you've configured any other
repos (apart from Fedora and its updates), there is a possibility of
clashes between them and fedora.us. See
http://www.fedorafaq.org/fc2/#installsoftware for more details.

>  A corollary question is: "Given a working FC2 system, would I expect to be
> able to transparently do an FC3 installation on that system and still expect
> things like its ftp & http servers to still work?"

"Probably". It depends on how much you've customised them, but a
straightforward install should just work.

Incidentally, when writing to this list, it's a good idea *not* to
reply to an existing e-mail. Many of us use threaded mail clients, and
it looks as though your e-mail is a comment on the e-mail to which you
replied. That means less people will read your question.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
James Wilkinson       | "The duke had a mind that ticked like a clock and,
Exeter    Devon    UK | like a clock, it regularly went cuckoo."