Devices in FC4

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Sun Jan 30 22:28:40 UTC 2005

Gain Paolo Mureddu wrote:
> Well that capability is one of the beautis of D-Bus, check the Red Hat
> article on that: http://info.redhat.com/a/hBB8DIYAJPSNNAVC3Z0AK4HN1LI/rhm324
>
> I actually think this is a good idea, it only needs to be more
> consistent regarding its behaviour... And if this requires kernel-side
> support, it'd be swell if they stated so, since with custom kernels, it
> is quite common that USB devices like printers simply disappear when you
> boot and kudzu complains about that... on occations this is so bad, that
> you (at least me a couple of times) lose printing capability until you
> reboot (WTH?!?!) even if you have all the appropriate USB modules loaded
> and even when /sbin/lsusb lists your device. CUPS will simply not see
> port /dev/usb/lp0, what is worse, indeed this is not cretaed, even when
> you have usbfs loaded fine and all looks peachy in /proc and mount...

Yes, but what about in /sys ?

OK, it's not *that* easy to find out, but HAL relies on /sys being there
and mounted in order to find out what hardware is there.

James.

--
James Wilkinson       | The sendmail configuration file is one of those
Exeter    Devon    UK | files that looks like someone beat their head on