FC3 marvell group ltd gigabit ethernet adapter

Andrew Smith rhml2 at k1k2.com
Sun Jan 30 23:49:37 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-31 at 03:17, Serge de Souza wrote:
> David Hoffman wrote:
>   > My latest motherboard is an ASUS P5P800 which also has the same
> > adapter. I had to download and install the kernel modules for this.
>
> I have a P5P800
> # lsmod | grep sk98
> sk98lin               142889  1
>
> # modinfo sk98lin
> filename:
> /lib/modules/2.6.9-1.681_FC3smp/kernel/drivers/net/sk98lin/sk98lin.ko
> author:         Mirko Lindner <mlindner at syskonnect.de>
> license:        GPL
> vermagic:       2.6.9-1.681_FC3smp SMP 686 REGPARM 4KSTACKS gcc-3.4
> depends:
>
> It is just the standard module that comes with the FC3 kernel. I am not
> using the latest 2.6.10 kernel because I have problems with USB and
> iptables if I do.
>

> Serge

OK,
this is related to the r8169 driver but it might be helpful ...

If you have options in your modprobe.conf then try commenting
them out and see if that fixes it - then use ethtool to set
some of the options if that works with your kernel driver
Check the source code to see if it says any of the options are
depricated (the r8169.c does for 'mode=')

I have an extra GigaBit nic in two machines with a direct cable
between them (one is my file server) so the other machine has
faster access to the file server's files
Some time, about a month ago, the link stopped working but I only
noticed it after a blackout so I thought that was the problem and
I just redirected the connection back the to 100Mb link and ignored
it due to not have the time to look into it

Having seen your question this morning, I have now spent some time
sorting out what exactly happened and found it is a software problem.

Basically - the problem appears to have occurred about the same
time as I updated kernels on one of the machines (fc2 and fc3) but
the blackout may have been shortly after that, so the blackout
probably had nothing to do with it other than alerting me to the
problem when I was rebooting all the computers

What I ended up having to do today was comment out my
'options r8169 media=0x10' on both machines and reboot
(a few times trying a few different kernels)
until I finally worked out that was the cause

-Hope that helps you in the right direction
-Cheers