JRE required - OpenOffice 2 (beta)

Thomas Cameron thomas.cameron at camerontech.com
Mon Jan 31 03:28:51 UTC 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Cornette" <fc-cornette at insight.rr.com>
To: <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Sunday, January 30, 2005 9:00 PM
Subject: JRE required - OpenOffice 2 (beta)

>I installed openoffice rpms from the openoffic.org site. The rpms
> contain a program called base. This program requires JRE.
>
> Anyway, I'd like to experiment with this program. I have not ever
> installed Java on my linux computer before.
>
> What runtime package is needed and how would you compile and install it
> to work with OpenOffice.org? I tried to compile a nosrc package and did
> not have much success with my attempts.
> (java-1.5.0-sun-1.5.0.01-1jpp.nosrc.rpm). Is this the correct package
> required?
>
> Any leads appreciated.
>
> Jim

http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

Get the Linux RPM (self-extracting file) and run it (sh
jre-1_5_0_01-linux-i586-rpm.bin).  You'll have to deal with the license
agreement claptrap and then you'll end up with a Java RPM called
jre-1_5_0_01-linux-i586.rpm

rpm -ivh that package and you're done.  No need to compile anything.

Thomas