Broadband???

Wolfgang Gill wolfgang at rpi.net.au
Mon Jan 31 05:59:36 UTC 2005

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 21:34:54 -0500, Alex Evonosky wrote
> Wolfgang Gill wrote:
> >
> > Get yourself a Router (A D-Link DI-804HV comes to mind). And let the router do
> > all the logging in and configuration for you.
>
> Thats fine for a simple NAT. For granularity and QoS, packet shaping
> for VoIP (vonage, etc), allowing true stateful packet filtering,
> port forwarding, etc; IPtables is a better solution.

That's what I use as well. The features that are not required can be turned
off. I use the software firewall in Linux (Iptables) and I have one on Windows
(Not the windows crap version though) as well. But as for broadband
configuration, I find an external router is much easier to configure. And
since this one also has a 4 port switch, I can connect to other PC's on the
LAN as well. Plus mine logs on for me as well, so, I don't have to write a
script to do that for me.

Wolf