Broadband???

David Curry dsccable at comcast.net
Mon Jan 31 06:41:31 UTC 2005

Robert Storey wrote:

>On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 11:17:27 -0500
>David Curry <dsccable at comcast.net> wrote:
>

>>Sam Varshavchik wrote:

>>>connection>> using GNOME ( Fedora Core 3 ) because i can't seem to
>>>get it to work>> by just configuring it with GNOME's built-in
>>>internet connection>> wizard.... btw i'm a newbie with Linux/Fedora.
>>>Thanks a milion.>

>>>Why should it matter, if you have a real Internet provider?
>>>

>Well, it would certainly matter if he is using pppoe (as opposed to
>having a static address). Seng, we need more info - is your setup with a
>static address, or is it pppoe? Or for that matter, is it wireless (in
>which case wep or wpa comes into play). There's more than one kind of
>broadband - we need to know these little details before we can help.
>
>cheers,
>Robert

HELLO!!!  As you edited/cropped the earlier messages Mr. Storey, you
left the impression that I wrote the last item preceeding your text.  MY
contribution to the thread was in fact deleted in its entirety.  That
contribution read

> Seng, I also had similar difficulties establishing a broadband
> connection when first installing Fedora Core, both with FC2 and FC3.
> My solution to the problem was to re-install and have Anaconda (the
> installer) activate network services on boot up with DHCP enabled.
> This was a drastic solution, perhaps, but it worked.
>
> If one is more conversant in linuxeese, editing one's init.d file
> should provide another avenue to accomplish the same result without
> going through re-installation. You might consult the documentation
> available on your machine in
> /usr/share/doc/initscripts-<version-number> (through a browser use URL
> file:///usr/share/doc/initscripts)  and download the RedHat Linux 9.0
> documentation manuals available at RedHat's website.

I'll thank you to avoid misrepresentation of my statements!  They may be
dumb or wrong and if so I accept responsibility for those shortcomings,
but I will not sit still for having statements by others attributed to
me or having my statements misrepresented.