Removing a "busy" text file?

Tim Smith tim at electronghost.co.uk
Mon Jan 31 08:26:29 UTC 2005

On Sunday 30 Jan 2005 20:18, Richard S. Crawford wrote:
> On Sunday 30 January 2005 12:11 pm, Tim Smith flailed at a keyboard and
>
> produced this:
> > Well, in the extreme a reboot should fix it, but you don't really want
> > to do that. The /sbin/fuser command (part of the psmisc package) will
> > tell you what process is holding the file open. You can then kill the
> > process in question (most likely a KDE ioslave), and you should be able
> > to remove the file.
>
> Hm.  Running:
>
> # /sbin/fuser Concerning\ Hobbits.mp3
>
> yields nothing.
>
> Still can't delete it.
>
> Something I forgot to mention: the directory ~/music is actually a
> symlink to a Samba share on a RH8 computer in my house which has all of
> our MP3 files.

In which case you probably need to restart the Samba service. Or stop it,
remove the file, and start it again. Try the fuser command on the RH8 box;
possibly the samba server has it open on behalf of some other client. Can
you shell into the RH8 server and remove it?

I also vaguely recall that there was a samba bug regarding file locking some
while back, possibly RH8 is old enough.

--
Tim Smith <tim at electronghost.co.uk>
The End of the Universe is Nigh.  (Or: Corellian Whiskey Market is