VegaStrike Game

David L Norris dave at webaugur.com
Mon Jan 31 10:26:52 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-01-30 at 21:39 -0600, Mark Guzzo wrote:
> Need my fix ;-)
>
> I'm trying to install vegastrike either by CVS or the provided rpm file.
> Either way I seem to be missing OpenAL. I know what it is, I just can't
> seem to find it to install it.
> Has someone gotten Vegastrike to install
> on Fedora Core 3? If so, could you please provide some insight as I seem
> to have run out of ideas.
>
> http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/

Well, their RPMs are terrible and fairly outdated.  They have hard
dependencies against strange package names (i.e. OpenAL) instead of
allowing RPM discover the dependencies.  And, the RPMS install
to /usr/local.  I forced the RPM to install with --nodeps but it
segfaults when calling into openal.

So, one would need to write a new RPM spec and rebuild everything from
source.  Or skip the RPM and just run their installer script.  Either
way you still need openal.

Add http://newrpms.sunsite.dk/ repository then:
  yum install openal openal-devel

Create a new file named /etc/yum.repos.d/newrpms.repo containing:
[newrpms]
name=NewRPMS
baseurl=http://newrpms.sunsite.dk/apt/redhat/en/i386/fc3/
enabled=1