[x86_64] FC3 installation on SATA disks

Rainer Koenig Rainer.Koenig at fujitsu-siemens.com
Mon Jan 31 12:37:55 UTC 2005

Hi there,

Problem: Kernel 2.6.8 and 2.6.9 seem to have a bug that prevents them
         from recognizing a SATA disk connected to an Intel ICHx SATA
         controller (only on x86_64 architecture).

Impact:  Trying to install distribution which use that kernel like
         Fedora Core 3 fails because the installer doesn't see any
         hard disks.

Workaround: This problem seems to be fixed in Kernel 2.6.10. That means,
if I install on a parallel ATA disk (which works) and then upgrade the
kernel to 2.6.10 I also see the SATA disks that are connected.

Question: What are the options for users that have a SATA disk only
system? Is there a way to replace the kernel used for installation
and which is installed later with 2.6.10? How do I generate new ISO
images to provide new installation media? Or is there a chance with
"hand made" boot floppies?

Regards
Rainer
--