RH9 -> FC3: no upgrade offered

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Mon Jan 31 16:12:28 UTC 2005

Jean-Louis Leroy wrote:
>>You can't just upgrade, AFAIK, from RH9 to FC3.  I think it has to do
>>with the difference in kernels and major changes in, well, everyting -
>>config file differences, etc.
>

> What about RH9->FC1->FC2->FC3? I've seen a procedure for upgrading
> from RH9 to FC1 using yum. I may try that. I have lots of things
> installed on that computer and I hope there's a better solution than
> starting everything from scratch again :-(

Can be done but believe me it isn't worth the headaches.  It could
take ages to get things working properly if you do run into any
headaches.  People around work here have upgraded from FC1 to FC3 with
minimal headaches but others have had major problems where a total
install was required.

There was a message posted the other day about doing a complete rpm
list of installed packages and then going from there.

Any locally compiled programs will have to be rebuilt anyways.

I still find pieces of my RH install and I am still on FC1 and this is
after a year of FC1.
--
Robin Laing