Regarding MP3 support

Jim Higson jh at 333.org
Mon Jan 31 16:48:02 UTC 2005

> Using ogg sounds nice - but it just really is more difficult because it
> does not have the market penetration in devices that mp3 has. There's a
> time for being idealistic, and there's a time for using what works in
> the present.

When I first brought Ogg up I said:

	"Of course, it depends if you are making the files or not, what you want to
	play them on and who you share them with..."

So, clearly I was saying Ogg is best where you can use it. Of course I have an
mp3 decoder installed (but then I don't live in the US anyway)

However, there is a time when "it works" isn't enough. I don't think we've
reached that point yet, mp3 isn't anything like as bad as the "trusted"
computing formats of the future.

It's ironic that while the record industry fought internet downloading for so
long because of piracy, they're turning to it now because it's the only way
they can control copying of the music.

Anyway, this is getting OT, but there is also a time to be idealistic.

--
Jim