KDAT - no tape ??

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Jan 31 18:16:27 UTC 2005

On Monday 31 January 2005 12:01, Pete Savage wrote:
>Hi, I installed an old Sony SCSI Tape drive in a machine, ran KDAT
> and backed up some files, I even managed to verify them.....the
> next day I put the tape in....tried to mount it to try a restore,
> and it said there was no tape in the drive.  I reset the machien
> several times, no joy... Any takers ??
>Thanx
>Pete

Tapes, AFAIK, don't 'mount', other than in the drives own vernacular.
If kdat cannot access the tape in the drive, stop it, and use

'mt -f /dev/non-rewinding-name rewind', followed by
'mt -f /dev/non-rewinding-name status',
 which should spit out a BOT someplace in that report, then:
'dd if=/dev/non-rewinding-name count=1'

this should spit out any header block kdat uses (I've never been able
to make kdat work either, but that was years ago & I've been using
amanda ever since) which should give you an idea if kdat was able to
put something of use on the tape.

Post that result and we'll see if we can figure out howto proceed from
there.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)