confusing /etc/fstab

Pedro Fernandes Macedo webmaster at margo.bijoux.nom.br
Mon Jan 31 19:33:46 UTC 2005

Paul F. Almquist wrote:

>Labeling does introduce a problem:  What happens if 2 partitions have the same
>label?  Which one does mount choose?  I do not know the algorithm but I do
>know that mount does not know which one you want to use.  In the technical
>college where I taught Unix/Linux system administration we had removable IDE
>drives in our lab machines. (standard IDE drives in a tray that slides into a
>bay the in cabinet.  works good.  I use them at home too)  I had a removable
>drive bay on my office machine. A couple of times I had to make some repairs
>to corrupted student drives.  Since the drives are not hot-swappable   I
>would power down my machine, insert the student's drive, power up and boot.
>Their partition labels were the same as on my internal IDE drive and as a
>result would bet mounted instead of my partitions.  After a couple time of
>messing with that I changed the /etc/fstab file on my system to use device
>names instead of labels.
>
>fsck also recognizes the labels, probably other disk related commands  too.
>
>paul

In such cases , I strongly suggest changing the labels. Here I used to
have FC2 and FC3 test releases (during FC3 test) installed.
The root for FC2 was labeled / , the one for FC3 was labeled fc3/ . And
the same way for other partitions.
Now , if you need to insert another disk with the same labels , you can
always change the root=LABEL=/ part on grub to point to the right device.
This change can be done at boot time (just press "a" on grub screen) and
it probably will fix the issue, since the kernel will know exactly which
partition to use on boot time.

--
Pedro Macedo