Fedora Core 3 sound problems.....?

Peter Lesterhuis peterlesterhuis at tiscali.nl
Mon Jan 31 19:42:35 UTC 2005

Message: 9
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 22:46:12 -0500
From: Curt Stauffer <cgstauffer at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Fedora Core 3 sound problems.....?
To: fedora-list at redhat.com

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 00:32:47 +0100, Peter Lesterhuis
<peterlesterhuis at tiscali.nl> wrote:

>> I tried this (Gnome - applications - sound & video - volume control).
>> Nothing is "muted", all sliders are set  on high levels. Still no sound.
>> Peter.

Peter, be sure that the "sense" controls *are* muted; there are 2, one
is for headphone jack and I forget what the other was, but both had
"sense" in the names.  This fixed the problems for me.

-Curt

I cann't find any "sense" controls. All i see on the control panel is;  master-PCM-surround-center
-LFE-line-CD-mic-mic boost-video-IEC 958-IEC 958 Playback AC97-SPSA-PC speaker-AUX.
I muted them one by one though without any improvement.

I noticed that testing GStreamer Preferences (applications-preferences-more pref-multimedia
systems selector) both audio tests result in failure. I not sure if this is important.

I installed xine and was astonished to find out that both cd's and (movie-)dvd's can be played now.
I am happy and grateful for the hint someone of this list gave me.
Still i wonder why xmms and cd-player won work.
Peter.