Linux Sun's JVM needs improvements

Gain Paolo Mureddu gmureddu at prodigy.net.mx
Mon Jan 31 23:41:23 UTC 2005

    As I already pointed out in another thread, I really think the Linux
JVM provided by Sun (even the latest 1.5.0) needs serious
improvements... Whether it be applications such as Azureus (Bit Torrent
client), LimeWire (p2p client), or web applets embeded in webpages,
whenever Java loads in Linux, it is such a system hog!! I've seen it use
as much memory as 400 Mb (according to top and ps) for an application
that in itself should not use more than a couple tens of megs, like a
p2p client... the problem is not the program which runs on top of Java,
that usually is under expected memory ranges, but the Java process
itself is the one that uses the most memory, plus it will begin to leak
sometimes... Looks as if the Linux JVM had zero garbage collection.

Sun should really take care of thier JVM if they want to make Java
succeed in *nix. Even their won JVM has many troubles running on their
Solaris platform... So this is more a *nix in general issue than just
Linux alone.