stupid spamassassin tricks

Richard E Miles r.godzilla at comcast.net
Mon Jan 31 23:50:27 UTC 2005

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 14:27:08 -0500 (EST)
 Craig White wrote:

> slugging through an awkward issue with spamassassin on my home server.
>
> I am using fetchmail to get mail from my ISP - who in essence, has
> already accepted delivery.
>
> I have an email in my box which fetchmail keeps retrieving and
> spamassassin is rejecting it - which is kind of an endless loop.
>
> Specifically, I am running spamassassin & spamass-milter (milter via
> sendmail).
>
> I currently have the following options to spamd set...
>
> # cat /etc/sysconfig/spamassassin
> SPAMDOPTIONS="-d -c -a -m5 -H -L -x -u smmsp"
>
> hoping that the '-L' option would serve the purpose...it hasn't
>
> Any suggestions? Right now, it is only 1 email but these things have a
> way of snowballing.
>
> TIA

You might want to check if you are getting socket errors in your fetchmail. It
will cause messages to repeat in your mail. I experienced this from my
fetchmail. To fix it I changed fetchmailrc to include logging and expunge 1 to
erase mail from my server. here is a copy of my .fetchmailrc file.

# Configuration created Sun Jul 11 10:36:42 2004 by fetchmailconf
set postmaster "rmiles"
set bouncemail
set no spambounce
set properties ""
set daemon 90

set no syslog

set logfile /home/rmiles/fetchmail.log
poll mail.comcast.net with proto POP3
       user 'r.godzilla' there with password 'xxxx' is 'rmiles' here

expunge 1

--
Richard E Miles
Federal Way WA. USA