Recommened Tape Backup software

David G. Miller (aka DaveAtFraud) dave at davenjudy.org
Fri Jul 1 04:51:46 UTC 2005

Julian Underwood <mailings at underwoods.net> wrote:

>Subject: Recommened Tape Backup software
>
>Dear List,
>
>I'm pretty frustrated with Tape Backup software at the moment.  I simply
>want an easy to use/install, program which will allow me to backup my
>server to multiple DLT tapes.
>
>I tried BRU, and it worked OK, but it's not free, so I couldn't restore.
>I checked out Networker from Legato, and it seems a bit much for a
>single server--which is also not free.
>
>Could someone recommend a good backup software which can handle this
>task?  I understand that Amanda is quite good, but doesn't support
>appending to multiple tapes "out of the box."
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Julian

I think you'll find that amanda supports backups that span multiple
tapes.  Amanda requires that the drive be non-rewinding (from its
perspective).  This means that tapes are used once until they come back
up in the cycle.  This is a function of how long do you want to be able
to "go back"; not amanda.

Amanda is somewhat of a pain to configure but once you get it working
it's pretty much just keep feeding tapes to your tape drive.  I'm using
a 6x12GB Sun tape changer that I picked up used and amanda just keeps
asking for tapes.  The few restores I've needed to do have been fairly
painless.

Dave