Can't find existing Fedora on FC3>FC4 upgrade

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sat Jul 2 14:52:05 UTC 2005

Andy Schlei wrote:

> Jim
>
> This is very helpful.  If I have time later this week I might try to
> the YUM approach, and I'll definitely file a bug.  I appreciate the
> help.  I really want to avoid a re-installation (too much time on
> config files invested and I'm lazy and don't want to do them again).
> So the YUM approach looks good.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --Andy

Pass on the bug report number. I was surprised that the LVM install that
I dusted off and put back in this box recognized the install with this
attempt. I am wondering if the fedora-release package holds the key to
not having your installation recognized.
I swapped out disks again once the older installation failed to boot due
to the latest kernel having acpi issues on my computer.

Regarding FC3 to FC4 upgrading, I did this on one machine and it seems
to work a lot better than a clean installed FC4 server with similar
purpose and functionality. The FC3 to 4 server can be connected to every
time that I query it. Th clean install is intermittent and is not
reliable for duties required from it.
YMMV,
Jim

--
"... And remember: if you don't like the news, go out and make some of
your own."