Linux Backup Administration

Pedro Fernandes Macedo webmaster at margo.bijoux.nom.br
Sun Jul 3 03:42:09 UTC 2005

Kenneth Porter wrote:

> --On Friday, July 01, 2005 8:26 PM -0300 Pedro Fernandes Macedo <> wrote:
>
>> I'd avoid to use dump/restore.. Use tar + gzip or tar + bz2. You'll get
>> good compression rates and all permissions will be kept.
>> If you use dump , you're copying *everything* from the disk, including
>> the data structures used to store the data and permissions on disk,
>> which
>> is a waste of space.
>

> Oh? Dump records the files contiguously, so there's no need for any
> structures beyond the metadata in the inode (those same pesky things
> that tar saves). dump also handles sparse files (the gigantic ones
> that have no actual space allocated) correctly. (It may be that tar
> does that as well. I haven't checked recently.) dump accesses the raw
> disk, so it can back up files hidden by mount points. (OTOH, restore
> reads through the filesystem, so it can't verify files hidden by mount
> points.) The latest dump backs up extended attributes. Does tar do
> that? dump is capable of compression.

Probably I made a wrong assumption then. But I still preffer to use tar
for backups for its portability.. Try to restore a filesystem from a
dump backup when you dont have a machine with the same OS anymore.. (or
with an OS that has the same tools)...  Not very fun... (I've had to
restore a dump from a solaris machine and no linux machine worked for
that)...

--
Pedro Macedo