Fedora Download Page Useless

Tony Nelson tonynelson at georgeanelson.com
Sun Jul 3 17:42:02 UTC 2005

At 8:36 AM -0700 7/3/05, Benjamin Franz wrote:
>On Sun, 3 Jul 2005, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>[snip]
>>
>> Linking to these websites from the Fedora download page would require that
>> the project page be a generic one like sf.net. Linking to random personal
>> webpages or commercial webprojects without getting explicit permission from
>> them. Bandwidth costs a huge amount. That is a liability. Linking to
>> particular mirrors is a bad idea too especially when they are overloaded
>> since the users wont be able to reach those webpages anyway.
>
>[snip]
>
>Redhat could have just mirrored the sha1sum.exe file itself to the Fedora
>website. It is not huge (20 *Kbytes*) and is GPLed. Rather than trying to
>get other people to mirror it on Redhat's behalf. Redhat would not have
>even noticed the bandwith bump: The utility is smaller than the downloads
>page itself with its images and stylesheets.

"Me too."  I hope you can do it right away if not sooner (say, on 9 June 05
;), as leaving it out makes it hard to install FC4 from MSWindows.

Also, the links to the Release Notes and Release Notes Errata should
emphasise that the Errata are the /complete/ and current Release Notes, not
just some changes:

"current updated release notes, with enhancements and bug fixes for the
notes in the link above."