Fedora Core 4 -- 1387 Kernel Problem Compaq nx9010 Laptop

Markus Huber humarfedoralists at yahoo.de
Sun Jul 3 21:41:21 UTC 2005

Jim Cornette wrote:
> ryan wrote:
>
>> Markus Huber wrote:

>>> I'll do an update later this day on an HP zd7000 notebook which
>>> relies on ACPI and will report the behaviour.
>>>

>> Could this be similar to my problem where FC 3 kernels boot, but FC 4
>> ones do not?
>>
> The problem might be related to the differences between the way devices
> are managed between FC3 and
> FC4. Look into UDEV and other possibilities. I think the kernel is
> missing some features that the FC4 kernel used to have compiled in.

With kernel-2.6.12-1.1411_FC5 from the development tree I do not
experience any problem with programs running through wine, and I am
using this one on my desktop at present.

> ACPI is a different issue, HP laptops cannot boot without it for some
> models. The model mentioned above and my HP ze4315us cannot boot without
> ACPI being functional.

Updated my HP zd7000 with kernel-2.6.12-1.1387_FC4smp (it's a P4 3.2 GHz
with Hyperthreading) and it boots fine with ACPI.

Markus