FC4 upgrade

Gland Vador glandvador at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 4 10:11:12 UTC 2005

Hello,

I upgraded my fedora core from FC3 to FC4 with yum. And found some problems:

1) when I execute :
[]# /etc/init.d/microcode_ctl start
it responds:
      microcode device /dev/cpu/microcode doesn't exist?

that seems true because an lsmod doesn't show the microcode loaded.
I manually load the microcode module, then the device /dev/cpu/microcode
appear and I am able to run the /etc/init.d/microcode_ctl script. But,
at the and of the script there is an /sbin/rmmod microcode that unload
the module and consequently remove the device /dev/cpu/microcode.

My CPU:

[]# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 6
model name      : Celeron (Mendocino)
stepping        : 5
cpu MHz         : 466.746
cache size      : 128 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 2
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 mtrr pge mca cmov
pat pse36 mmx fxsr
bogomips        : 917.50

Anybody see the same problem ? For me is a double problem. First udev
doesn't load the microcode module and then the microcode_ctl script
remove the module. Or I don't have the right CPU ??

2) This is a head less server. No X. But, I want the samba package who
needs the cups-libs which needs libtiff that needs xorg-libs, etc. Any
way that libtiff doesn't needs xorg ?? Without recompiling, because the
next time the libtiff will be upgraded the X will come along...
The same for cvs package. It seems that it needs tcsh packages just for
a script in the /usr/share folder. In the FC3 there wasn't this requires
for cvs and libtiff.

Thanks,

Edd.