Totem - Mplayer Frustrations

Christopher A. Williams chrisw01 at comcast.net
Fri Jul 8 04:17:26 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-07-07 at 23:41 -0400, C.Beamer wrote:
> Will try all suggestions tomorrow.  I'm too tired tonight.
>
> I still don't see why this has to be so damn difficult.  It was a
> breeze to install mplayer under FC3.  I also have mplayer working
> perfectly on my Kubuntu laptop.  Its FC4 that is giving me the problem.
>
> And like I said, I've installed from source, I've installed from rpm
> via the livna repository, via atrpm (after removing the packages from
> the livna install.  However, there are a couple of things in Ben's
> post that I will try tomorrow.  And I do know how to remove the files
> from a source install even without a removal utility.

I understand the frustration. I had similar issues with MPlayer and
followed the suggestions in this thread. The good news is I eventually
did get Mplayer Plug-in to work, but I still can't get Totem to work
with Firefox playing mms:// types. I get an error saying there is no URI
handler for the mms:// protocol. I don't know if I can switch to
MPlayer.

This is a real pain... Hopefully it's documented somewhere

Cheers,

Chris

--
"Only two things are infinite,