FC3 mediacheck

Reshat Sabiq sabiq at csociety.org
Mon Jul 11 04:05:55 UTC 2005

akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:

>>I think this comment was from Satish about ide=nodma.  Why is that
>>necessary?  I've encountered the mediacheck failures similarly for the
>>first time ever.  If the drive operates normally, why do we need nodma
>>in order to check only disk2 and disk3 of the CD set?
>>
>>I'm not intending this as disrespectful to anyone; I'm truly curious
>>about it.  Out of the four install images, all four pass the MD5
>>checksum test, and two out of four pass the mediacheck.  On my CD
>>writer, cdrecord reports that the buffer was always adequately filled
>>and burnfree protection was never needed.  So assuming the integrity of
>>the media is OK (seems to be, since cdrecord reports no errors and the
>>CD is readable), I'd suspect a problem with the original ISO image.
>>Whether you use DMA or not on your drive doesn't seem to have any
>>bearing on things....else other I/O would have trouble too.
>>
>>Am I missing something?
>>
>>Erik
>>

>I don't know what you are missing but with some hardware the ide=nodma
>is necessary for to mediacheck to work and the installation from CD's
>to work without getting read errors.

I encountered the nodma issue when i was upgrading to FC3 last year as
well. For some time i thought that nodma might be needed on all read
operations on such hardware, but i'm no longer sure that's the case.
There might be a corrrelation though between this issue and the fact
that Linux media players crash on me on one out of about 8 or 10 DVDs.
Might suggest that there's something wrong with the driver causing both
issues.