iptables question

Margaret Doll Margaret_Doll at brown.edu
Mon Jul 11 21:08:21 UTC 2005

I am having problems with getting Fedora 3 to Display xwindows across
the network.

I have variations of RedHat system from 7.3 to Enterprise 3 and
Fedora 3.  I use ipchains or iptables along with /etc/hosts.allow to
control access to the systems.

The Fedora 3 systems are allowing ssh/sftp into them from specific
addresses only and allowing nfs mounts, but they are not allowing me
to ship a DISPLAY across the network.

Starting nmap V. 3.00 ( www.insecure.org/nmap/ )
Interesting ports on numbers.geo.brown.edu (128.148.124.52):
(The 1594 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
Port       State       Service
22/tcp     open        ssh
111/tcp    open        sunrpc
617/tcp    open        unknown
672/tcp    open        unknown
685/tcp    open        unknown
2049/tcp   open        nfs
32770/tcp  open        sometimes-rpc3

However,

iptables -L -v
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)
pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
destination
    35  2789 RH-Firewall-1-INPUT  all  --  any    any
anywhere             anywhere

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)
pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
destination
     0     0 RH-Firewall-1-INPUT  all  --  any    any
anywhere             anywhere

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT 18 packets, 1848 bytes)
pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
destination

Chain RH-Firewall-1-INPUT (2 references)
pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
destination
     0     0 ACCEPT     all  --  lo     any     anywhere
anywhere
    35  2789 ACCEPT     all  --  eth0   any     anywhere
anywhere
     0     0 ACCEPT     icmp --  any    any     anywhere
anywhere            icmp any
     0     0 ACCEPT     ipv6-crypt--  any    any
anywhere             anywhere
     0     0 ACCEPT     ipv6-auth--  any    any
anywhere             anywhere
     0     0 ACCEPT     all  --  any    any     anywhere
anywhere            state RELATED,ESTABLISHED
     0     0 ACCEPT     tcp  --  any    any     anywhere
anywhere            state NEW tcp dpt:ssh
     0     0 ACCEPT     tcp  --  any    any     anywhere
anywhere            state NEW tcp dpt:x11
     0     0 REJECT     all  --  any    any     anywhere
anywhere            reject-with icmp-host-prohibited