WARNING:DO NOT UPGRADE TO CORE 4

Ian Malone ibm21 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Jul 12 08:04:40 UTC 2005

Deron Meranda <deron.meranda at gmail.com> wrote:

 > Okay, I think the "don't install on production systems" point has been
 > made loud enough.  Let's not forget that there is no magic line which
 > separates production servers from playboxes.  Some uses will be in
 > that gray area, where it's not quite production or mission critical,
 > but it still gives you grief if it breaks.  There's a whole continuous
 > range of "importance", and that's the call of the user/administrator,
 > which I'm sure Steven is well aware of now.

Where you fall in that gray area should determine how cautious you
are towards upgrades.  My home machine is important to me in that
if Linux doesn't run some task my alternative is to boot WinME,
which is getting more and more painful.  I'm still waiting to upgrade
to FC4 for the simple reason that I expect things to get broken on
a new release and that major problems get fixed or documented over
the first few months.  Problems are going to crop up whenever Fedora
goes from Test (run on a relatively small number of systems) to Core
(with people running around trying to get early downloads and
torrents).  Maybe that should be made clearer to users: the speed you
upgrade will directly affect the time it will take to iron out problems.

That said I think an all caps warning against upgrading based on one
users bad experiences is a little alarmist.

--
imalone