Boot disk creation

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 13 15:32:47 UTC 2005

Brian McGovern wrote:

> Heres a dumb question.  I have a server thats been set up already.
> How do i make a boot floppy from it in case it ever crashes and I need
> to boot from floppy?
>
> Thanks

It is not a dumb question.

Unfortunately, you cannot do exactly what you hope.
There is the option presented by another to create a
bootable CDROM. You can do that. I frankly prefer
using Knoppix. YMMV

Another option is to make a boot floppy which has
only your boot loader. I use GRUB. My little GRUB
floppy has pulled my a... err butt out of the fire
several times. It isn't an operating system, and
it can't do very much, but it has let me boot my
system and poke around a few times using my normal
FC2 system, not a reduced rescue, and get it back
bootable.

I have a dual-boot Windows XP (which I hardly ever
use) and FC2. My little GRUB boot, Knoppix, and the
Windows XP Recovery disc have fixed up messes I've
made several times along the way. Dual boot is not
difficult. But it is very easy to make a mistake
and have a system that no only won't boot two OSs,
but won't boot even one.

BTW, I have been very impressed by the Windows XP
recovery. It works pretty well. Unfortunately, it
is not well documented. Options have scary names,
don't tell you what they'll do, and put up scary
warnings. Then they go do what is needed after all.

Knoppix is great, too. Reminds me, I may need to get
a later version of Knoppix. (Scurries off to Mozilla
to check the 'net...)

Mike