Related to: FC4 Sluggishness on a 466 MHz Celeron

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 13 16:18:54 UTC 2005

Ralf Corsepius wrote:

>On Wed, 2005-07-13 at 10:10 -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:
>

>>Paul Howarth wrote:

>>>Some editors like to rename the original file to "filename~" and then
>>>write out a new file "filename". This won't work in /proc.
>>>
>>>Paul.
>>>

>>I don't use *that* editor. I never have used that one.
>>

>Are you sure? Many editors open files like this.

Yes, I am sure. I built it from source myself, and am *very* familiar
with its behavior, having used it for over 10 years, and been the
maintainer of my copy of it over that period of time.

>>Interesting that one
>>can delete but not rename the file, even as owner. How is that accomplished?
>>

>It's ordinary permissions on files and directories:
>
># ls  -ld /proc/sys/vm/swappiness
>-rw-r--r--  1 root root 0 Jul 13 17:13 /proc/sys/vm/swappiness
># ls  -ld /proc/sys/vm
>dr-xr-xr-x  2 root root 0 Jul 13 17:13 /proc/sys/vm
>
>Note the owner permissions.

Indeed. I should have thought of that. I often use sort of "lazy thinking"
about root privilege, and should have thought to look at the directory.

[chanting]

"'Root' does not mean 'can do everything',  'root' does not mean 'can do
everything', ..."

Mike