force change of package version

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Sun Jul 17 14:20:43 UTC 2005

> This is happening because in FC3 you installed mozilla from a
> third-party source, and that version of mozilla is still "later" than
> the official FC4 packages. You can try updating it as follows:

yes, I'm well aware of the potential problems of using third party
sources. Unfortunately there are many useful packages in such sources
that aren't in the "official" sources... Before I update to a newer FC
version I try and remove all third party packages so the system as is
close to official as possible, and reinstall what I need after
upgrading. Seems this time I missed mozilla.

> 1. Install yum-utils from Fedora Extras:
>
> # yum install yum-utils
>
> 2. Download the FC4 versions of the mozilla packages you have installed:
>
> # yumdownloader $(rpm -qa --qf '%{NAME}\n' mozilla\*)
>
> 3. Install the FC4 versions of mozilla you just downloaded:
>
> # rpm -Uvh --oldpackage mozilla*.rpm
>
> Hopefully this won't have any further dependency issues.

cheers, the above prescription was what I was searching for - worked a
treat.

cheers Chris