usb hard disk and udev

Travis Fraser travis at snowpatch.net
Sun Jul 17 18:23:48 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-07-17 at 19:32 +0200, Marcel Janssen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to get my USB hard disks mounted always the same way with udev but
> find some trouble making the rules.
> I've been reading a bit of the following :
> http://www.reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html
>
> And the rule :
> BUS="usb", KERNEL="sd*", SYSFS{product}="USB 2.0 Storage Device", NAME="%k",
> SYMLINK="usbhd%n"
>
> Seems to be what I want, but I don't understand yet how it can make sure that
> my disk always gets the same mount point (I have multiple USB disks from
> different vendors and want them assigned always to the same device)
> One thing is the SYSFS{product}. I can't find this description for my device
> so I can't make the correct rule. Or, can I just take the vendor string in
> from the below output instead ?

Here are a couple of my rules for my two usb jumpdrives:

BUS="usb", SYSFS{product}="JUMPDRIVE", KERNEL="sd?1", NAME="%k",
SYMLINK="jumpdrive"

BUS="usb", SYSFS{product}="JUMPDRIVE2", KERNEL="sd?1", NAME="%k",
SYMLINK="jumpdrive_sport"

The symlink e.g. /dev/jumpdrive shows up when I plug the drive in.
In /etc/fstab, I have an entry like so:

/dev/jumpdrive	/mnt/jumpdrive	vfat noauto,noatime,user	0 0

Then I can mount the drive from Computer in Nautilus.

HTH,

Travis Fraser