Strange connection

Tomas Larsson ktl at bornet.net
Wed Jul 20 20:32:23 UTC 2005

As far as I understand it, this is what has happened.
By mistake I left an old phpBB running on my server. The hacker found it,
and if I understand it correctly he/she used an known weakness in phpBB
and created a buffer overflow in the php-code, by doing this he
incorporated a wget-command and managed to make the server to download an
trojan, when this was done the system was sort of open for him, but as far
as I understand it, he was only able to work as user "apache" an do what
ever damage possible.

Now as I've learned the hard way, don't forget old sw running, upgrade it
or remove it.
It doesn't matter how good your firewall is, if you are running a
webserver behind it, there is always a way to get into the system.
What I probably will do, is to have a second firewall sitting on the
webserver, blocking all in and outgoing ports that isn't needed, just
leave http, https and ftp open, and some other ports locked to a certain
MAC, for maintenance. Cant block outgoing on the main FW, since it will
create problems with access for the other boxes.

With best regards

Tomas Larsson
Sweden

Verus Amicus Est Tamquam Alter Idem