mail-notification: need alert popup or icon

Saurabh Siddharth sid at winoble.com
Fri Jul 22 07:36:24 UTC 2005

>  Saurabh Siddharth wrote:
>  >> Saurabh Siddharth wrote:
>  >>
>  >>  > Hi,
>  >>  > I am using fedora 4. I need an application that can alert me
> whenever
>  >>  > i get a mail(pop3). I tried usinf mail notification. But it doesnt
>  >>  > seem to work. I need something like a pop-up whenever i get a new
> mail
>  >>  > or maybe an icon in the taskbar(like thunderbird has in windows) or
>  >>  > maybe some animation in the taskbar like there used to be in
> fedora 3(
>  >>  > a jumping penguin etc)
>  >>  > I see that i can configure mail-notification to run a command
> whenever
>  >>  > a new mail arrives. but i dont know what command to give here so
> that
>  >>  > i can get the desired alert.
>  >>  > thanks
>  >>  > sid
>  >>  >
>  >> If you're using KDE as your desktop environment then:
>  >> http://kde-apps.org/index.php?xcontentmode=231
>  >>
>  >
>  > I use gnome...is there an equivalent command for gnome??
>  >
> gkrellm might be an option. It supports checking all kind of mailboxes.
> Doesn't matter if you're using kde/gnome/whatever
>
> Hth
>
> Alex

Thanx Alex...that works..
it would be better if i could have something in my panel..i have
selected the stay on top option...so it stays above other windows i
cannot have it in the panel..there used to be some kind of notifier in
fedora3 that stayed in the panel..i really liked that..anyway..this
solves my problem..