Boot from memory-stick?

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Mon Jul 25 08:45:03 UTC 2005

Monkey Pet wrote:
> I am trying to figure out booting from a USB memory stick also.
> Basically, I have installed linux and don't want to put grub on the
> MBR since I have a dell laptop and don't want to blow alway the
> recovery utilities, etc.  I am currently booting into linux using a CD
> created by the mkbootdisk program.  I want to be able to do the same
> thing, but put it on the usb memory stick.  What would be idea is just
> to put grub on the memory stick and be able to point it to the hd to
> do the actual booting.  I know my bios supports booting off the memory
> stick.

When you installed Fedora, did you install grub on the boot/root
partition (rather than the MBR)? If so, you could install grub on any
other device (memory stcik, floppy etc.) and use an entry like this:

title Fedora Core
         rootnoverify (hd0,1)
         chainloader +1

(where (hd0,1) is the partition grub is installed on)

to boot Fedora.

Paul.