Logwatch message

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Tue Jul 26 04:26:27 UTC 2005

--On Sunday, July 24, 2005 11:39 AM -0400 Neal Wilkinson
<forums.lists at comcast.net> wrote:

> Why is the nic connecting to the switch worthy of report? I have just a
> regular old DSL account it should always be connected unless the isp has
> an issue.

Logwatch is a log filter program. Sometimes innocuous messages "leak"
through the filter.

The kernel logs a huge amount of useful information when it's booting. Look
at /var/log/dmesg to see all the things it figured out. This is great stuff
when things don't go the way they should, esp. if you saved a copy of a
good boot to compare.

Logwatch tries to report things that are anomalous, but sometimes that
means it lets a message get through because it doesn't know about that
message and assumes it means something's wrong. You should file a bugzilla
against logwatch or report it on the logwatch mailing list
(http://www.logwatch.org/) so the next version can filter that out.