Network subnet question

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Tue Jul 26 12:22:18 UTC 2005

Andy Pieters wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I have a question.
>
> Is 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.1.1 on the same subnet?

That would depend on your netmask. If you use the default netmask of
255.255.255.0 then the answer is "no".

> I ask because someone is having a headless server that we are supposed to
> connect to on 192.168.1.1 but it isn't replying and we are on 192.168.0.3

If you're on the same LAN then you can either configure a router to
forward packets between the two subnets (and set up routes on the two
machines via this router), or configure both machines to use a different
netmask (e.g. 255.255.254.0).

If you're on different LANs then you'll need to use a router.

Paul.