SHRED for EXT3?

Michael Yep myep at remotelink.com
Tue Jul 26 19:40:54 UTC 2005

The first thing you need to identify is how sensitive the data is.  If
you are getting rid of the disks I would do nothing less than taking the
platers out and destroying them.
Now if you are just erasing files off a disk, and you are still using
the drive, the physical location of the computer is more important for
security.  It would be very difficult to recover data remotely as a
regular user.  Even as root it is very hard.  I have accidentally rm
(not shred) a file on ext3 and I gave up trying to recover it.
Another thing you can do, shred -vx /dev/hda (or what ever your disk is
called)  you need to boot into rescue mode or knoppix to do this.  That
will wipe out everything.
But also know even 35 pass shred can be read using Magnetic force
microscopy (but your data would have to be pretty valuable)

--
Michael Yep
Development / Technical Operations