up2date locking up?!?

David G. Miller (aka DaveAtFraud) dave at davenjudy.org
Wed Jul 27 14:54:20 UTC 2005

astew at wam.umd.edu wrote:

> So I started up2date and opted to just update /everything/, and left
> it over night.  Coming back, I see that it has locked up, or has
> apparantly locked up.
>
> Anyone seen this?  Should I be worried about killing the process?
> Should I just reinstall FC3?
>
> -Andrew

I have seen up2date "lock up" but generally for reasons external to up2date:

1) Filling /var.  Do a "df" and make sure the partition containing /var
isn't full.
2) Connection dropped.  I connect to the internet over point-to-point
wireless and the connection goes down every once in a while.
3) Only seen this with WhiteBox Linux repositories: repository not set
up correctly/not found.  Run up2date (as root) from the command line and
see if it can't find a repository or mirror in the spewage.
4) Again WhiteBox only: it appears that the session times out and then
stalls.

Can't think of any other reasons.  I use yum from the command line
instead since it gives me more information as to what is going on.

Dave