Synaptics touchpad driver help

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Fri Jul 29 22:48:03 UTC 2005

kevin.kempter at dataintellect.com wrote:

>Hi List;
>
>I currently have a fresh install of FC3 on my laptop. I have had FC3 and FC4
>installed previously. The last time I ran FC3 I had the touchpad working as
>such that I could use the right edge of the touchpad to scroll up/down and
>the bottom edge of the touchpad to go back/forward in a web browser. I could
>also tap the touchpad for a mouse-click
>
>I really did not like the bottom edge doing the forward/back thing - it caused
>more issues than it solved but I did like the scroll feature and the tap
>capability.
>
>With my new install of FC3 the tap feature works but not the scroll.  I've
>tried starting the X-server with both the default FC3 xorg.conf file and the
>modified xorg.conf file that I used in my previous installs.
>
>I've attached the default FC3 corg.conf and the modified one from the previous
>FC3 install (when it worked). Anyone know how to get the scroll feature
>working ?

I don't see any synaptics module listed in the file. I had to run
"system-config-display --reconfig"  after install to get my system to
work with the synaptics touchpad, but this is using FC4T3 as my starting
installation. The problem was supposed to be corrected in the FC4
release. Attached is my xorg.conf file if you want to compare the two.
You have a better videocard and higher resolution display, but the other
aspects seem close to mine enough for comparison.
My modules section has this listed below:

Section "Module"
        Load  "dbe"
        Load  "extmod"
        Load  "fbdevhw"
        Load  "glx"
        Load  "record"
        Load  "freetype"
        Load  "type1"
        Load  "synaptics"
        Load  "dri"
EndSection

>Section "Module"
>	Load  "dbe"
>	Load  "extmod"
>	Load  "fbdevhw"
>	Load  "glx"
>	Load  "record"
>	Load  "freetype"
>	Load  "type1"
>	Load  "dri"
>EndSection
>

>Section "Module"
>	Load  "dbe"
>	Load  "extmod"
>	Load  "fbdevhw"
>	Load  "glx"
>	Load  "record"
>	Load  "freetype"
>	Load  "type1"
>	Load  "dri"
>EndSection

Jim

--
Someone else stole your IP address, call the Internet detectives!