Orinoco Gold 8470-WD on FC4

Steven Stern subscribed-lists at sterndata.com
Sat Jul 30 22:28:40 UTC 2005

Glenn Meyer wrote:
> Maybe, while we're at it, I should ask another question....
>
> What kind of cards are you (as Fedora users) using that work well with
> Kismet?  Perhaps my purchase of the Orinoco was misguided?  I really
> like the external antenna option, but are there others that play better
> with Fedora and Kismet?
>
> Thanks for your comments and direction!
>

> Steven Stern wrote:
>
>> Glenn Meyer wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Can someone please help with how to set up this wireless card on
>>> FC4?  I would like to run Kismet.  I've read and gathered that this
>>> is the most desirable card (in many opinions - I'm sure not all), but
>>> it also looks to be one of the most difficult to set up.  All of the
>>> instructions I've found are for an older card with the Hermes chips.
>>> I believe mine has the Atheros (from the model number).
>>>
>>> Any help sure would be appreciated.  Thank you.
>>>

>> To get an Atheros chipset card working, compile yourself a copy of
>> MadWiFi.
>>
>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/madwifi/

I'm not exactly sure what kismet is/does.  I have a D-Link DLW510G that
worked just fine with Windows but was a pain to get going with Fedora. I
was on my way to MicroCenter to pick up something else when I ran across
a reference to madwifi.

I do have an external antennna (a Hawking model) because the reception
varied too much depending on factors I couldn't quite pin down.

--

   Steve