Change Disk from IDE to SCSI using dd, what else ?

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Fri Jul 1 03:13:04 UTC 2005

Timothy Murphy writes:

> Actually, I think the much simpler method suggested by the OP
> should work perfectly well.
> Personally I would use "cp -a" rather than dd,
> but I don't see why dd should not work.
>
> I don't see why there should be any need to make a new initrd -
> the initrd with the distribution should work with scsi discs -
> presumably the kernel will load the required scsi modules.

The kernel cannot load anything.  The kernel relies on userlevel startup
script to load the SCSI kernel modules before the kernel can mount the root
filesystem.  The root filesystem is on a SCSI hard drive.  All SCSI drivers
are modules, they are not compiled in.

> Personally (again) I prefer to compile my own kernel
> with scsi included in the kernel rather than as a module,
> but this should not be necessary.

And in Fedora kernels the scsi drivers are in the module, and are not
included in the initrd image by default.