FC4 good new tech, bad legacy support

Steffen Kluge kluge at fujitsu.com.au
Fri Jul 1 06:52:32 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-29 at 01:52 -0700, Richard Kelsch wrote:
> Good luck on getting many non-rpmed Perl CPAN modules to work, even
> though they worked fine in FC3.  Not everyone is a C programming master
> with a PHD.  Trying to figure out why someone in their right minds would
> make a compiler not compile code it's previous versions compiled quite
> happily is just beyond all logic in my opinion; especially since no
> English readable error is generated, except something cryptic that only
> a hippie-haired college professor would decipher at a glance (and
> probably with a condescending tone too).

Let me throw in a shred of fact among all the hand waving and hyperbole:

I just did a "install Bundle::CPAN" on a freshly upgraded FC4 system,
along with all the related module updates this drags behind it. I also
installed a bunch of other modules (that I don't really need) from CPAN,
just for the heck of it. What can I say, it didn't even blink.
Especially the gcc compilations went through without a single complaint.

So, maybe rather than generalising FC4 compilation is broken from a few
modules that fail compilation, it might be more worthwhile giving those
modules good looking into.

Cheers
Steffen.