How do you install an sh program? -- follow-up

Benjamin Sher delphi123 at zebra.net
Fri Jul 1 10:37:14 UTC 2005

Paul Howarth wrote:

> Benjamin Sher wrote:
>
>> Paul Howarth wrote:

>>> Just run the "install" script (as root).
>>>
>>> # ./install
>>>
>>> Paul.
>>>
>> Dear Paul:
>>
>> That's precisely what I tried to do originally, but to no avail. What
>> does this error message mean, please?
>>
>> Benjamin
>>
>> [sher at localhost XnView-1.68-x86-unknown-linux2.x-static]$ su
>> Password:
>> [root at localhost XnView-1.68-x86-unknown-linux2.x-static]# ls
>> app-defaults  Formats.txt  lib  nconvert.sh  Usage.txt     xnview.sh
>> bin           install      man  ReadMe.txt   WhatsNew.txt
>> [root at localhost XnView-1.68-x86-unknown-linux2.x-static]# ./install
>>  OS  : Linux, version 2.6.9-5.0.5.EL
>> ./install: line 26: syntax error near unexpected token `('
>> ./install: line 26: `   uid=*(root)*)'
>> [root at localhost XnView-1.68-x86-unknown-linux2.x-static]#
>

> It means the author of the install script doesn't write portable code,
> or hasn't tried running it himself.
>
> Edit the install script and change the line:
>
>         uid=*(root)*)
>
> to:
>
>         uid=*\(root\)*)
>
> Paul.

Dear Paul:

Very kind of you indeed. I would have never figured out a thing. Not
often that an author will mess up his install file.

The program installed fine, but when I try to launch it, it doesn't come
on. What should I do?

May I ask if you could looke at the two output results below (one after
install and one after launch) and tell me what command I need now?

[root at localhost XnView-1.68-x86-unknown-linux2.x-static]# ./install
  OS  : Linux, version 2.6.9-5.0.5.EL
This script will install nview/nconvert/xnview in the /usr/local/bin
directory
You must add to the PATH environment variable /usr/local/bin
  and /usr/local/lib to the LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Done!
[root at localhost XnView-1.68-x86-unknown-linux2.x-static]#

[sher at localhost XnView-1.68-x86-unknown-linux2.x-static]$ xnview
** XnView v1.68.1 Copyright 1991-2004 Pierre-E Gougelet (Feb 17
2004/13:52:01) **
        Version for Linux x86/Motif (All rights reserved)
** This is freeware software (for non commercial use)

     Type xnview -help, for more information

Thank you again.

Benjamin