Change Disk from IDE to SCSI using dd, what else ?

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Fri Jul 1 12:29:47 UTC 2005

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>

>>>Personally (again) I prefer to compile my own kernel
>>>with scsi included in the kernel rather than as a module,
>>>but this should not be necessary.
>>
>>And in Fedora kernels the scsi drivers are in the module, and are not
>>included in the initrd image by default.
>

> So are you saying that a machine with only SCSI discs
> cannot boot a Fedora kernel
> (ie a kernel that comes with the Fedora distribution)?

That's not what he said. The SCSI modules are not included in the initrd
image *by default*. If you install Fedora on a SCSI machine, anaconda
should detect this and include the necessary drivers in the initrd. It
will also add a scsi_hostadapter line to /etc/modprobe.conf, which will
cause any subsequent mkinitrd runs to include the needed modules too.

Paul.