Remote Assistance

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Fri Jul 1 13:13:47 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-07-01 at 05:40, Andy Pieters wrote:
> Hi All
>
> As much as I like and Love Linux, it so happens not everyone can.  My dad
> happens to be one of those people.  He is a game fanatatic and also uses his
> computer for administration work, but he lacks the ability to administer his
> computer.
>
> My Father lives 1.500 km away (1000 miles) and If only he would have Linux, I
> could just ssh in and arrange everything.
>
> I like heard of Remote Assistance on windows xp but since I don't have any
> windows, is anyone aware of a Linux Client that can interface with that?

There are a couple of options.  One I have used before is VNC.  You need
to install the vnc package on the windows system and setup it up.  This
will allow you to connect from you linux system using vncviewer and take
control of the desktop and drive it as if you were there.

Of course this all assumes you have network connectivity.  You will need
to forward ports from a hardware router/firewall if he is using one
(which he should be).

Note that vnc by itself is not secure.  It does not provide an encrypted
connection so any passwords and data sent over it are in the clear.

I have used ssh to tunnel vnc but only between two linux systems.  It
should be possible to do something similar with windows.  Would have to
look at putty to see if it can listen for incoming ssh connections and
setup the remote end of the tunnel for this.  Again I have used putty to
setup ssh tunnels from windows systems to linux systems but not the
other direction.

The other option would be to install cygwin on the windows box.  Then
you should be able to setup an encrypted tunnel using ssh with that.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

QOTD:
	"I tried buying a goat instead of a lawn tractor; had to return
	it though.  Couldn't figure out a way to connect the snow blower."