Wireless cards

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 1 14:02:16 UTC 2005

Ian Malone wrote:

> Mike McCarty wrote:
>
> > John Summerfied wrote:

[snip]

> Under Linux a Linux driver is a good thing.  Under Windows a Windows
> driver is a good thing.  I think wires are getting crossed here, since
> the words quoted below are yours:

[snip]

Ok, we agree perfectly, then.

[snip]

> list.  If the Windows driver is broken on ndis you have little recourse,
> because it might work perfectly under Windows.  I suppose I failed to
> see where the question had nothing related to Linux in it.  If the
> driver is broken on Windows of course you throw yourself on the
> manufacturer's mercy and hope for the best.  (And have you really tried
> this?  I'm here to tell you it doesn't always work.)

I've had experience with this issue. And so far, I'm pleased to tell you
that
they get fixed. In fact, they often are fixed before I have the problem,
because
my hardware is not cutting edge. By the time I bought a scanner, for
example,
there was an additional little piece of paper in the box saying "If you
have this
problem, there is fix on our website at no charge." I installed, and
downloaded
the new driver, and I never even used the old one to find out whether it had
the problem. And I didn't have to give information about my mother's maiden
name to get the new driver. It was just sitting there ready to download.
I've
had similar sorts of experience with other manufacturers. (HP made the
scanner,
btw.)

Your tone seems pejorative, though. Using words like "mercy" and "hope"
indicates that you have had some extremely bad experiences.

Of course, if a driver works on Windows, but won't on some who-knows-what-
it-is-thingy that hopes to make it run under another OS (*any* other
OS), no one
in his right mind at the company which sells for Windows is going to spend
even one second working on that.

How much support would I get here if I asked for something to make a Linux
driver work with Windows?

> This thread started with someone asking what wireless cards would work
> under FC4.  While Windows-only cards will work under ndis there is
> more mileage in picking something that has proper Linux support. I
> don't see that point being under contention.

Certainly not. The appearance to me, however, was "Windows drivers
may do bad things to your machine." Unqualified, even in this general
context, seems to me like a generally malign comment. The immediate
context did not seem to be "ndis is not really the way to go".

Sorry if I over reacted. Perhaps I should have asked you whether that
was what you really meant to say.

Mike