yum first-time user question

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 1 15:42:17 UTC 2005

tom poe wrote:

>Hi, ne:  Sounds good.  I am on dsl, a new thing for me.  Downloading
>seems to be about 27Kb/something.  I'll give it a go, but would feel
>more comfortable, if there was some documentation of the steps to
>follow.  I'll start a google search to see if I can find something
>similar (but with more detail) to what you described, below.  Wish me
>luck.  Tom
>
>On Fri, 2005-07-01 at 10:14, ne... wrote:
>- - - snip - - -
>

>>If you have a fast connection and can dl the cd/dvd, you can install
>>from the hard drive. All you need do is copy the relevant vmlinuz
>>and initrd.img to /boot, amend lilo.conf/grub.conf to suit, backup
>>/home & /etc and reboot. You'll then have various ways to install
>>FC4.

Instead of luck, how about a little advice? Don't try to download the images
using a browser. Use wget. Poke around on the web until you find the
mirror(s) you wish to use, and get the URLs for the ISOs. Then use wget
to do the download(s). You might also want to look into the -c option
of wget. When downloads take > 20 hours, sometimes things happen.
I needed to reboot under Windows, for example. In any case, not having
to hover over the download is a great convenience. One caveat: wget can't
handle the DVD ISO, I believe. It has a 2GIG file size limit, IIRC.

Mike